Wednesday, February 11, 2009

When I was a little girl, I loved playing with dolls; taking care of them, changing their clothes, brushing their hair. I seemed to have a strong, innate desire to nurture and care for others. I started babysitting for other's children when I was pretty young myself. I always just wanted to be a mother. Now that I am a thirty-something mother of four children, I've obviously learned that the vision I had in my mind as a young girl, was not a vision of reality. Being responsible for actual living, breathing, crying, laughing kids is not quite the same as playing with dolls.

My intent in writing this post is not to state the obvious, though. I've been mulling something over in my mind for quite some time and thought it might be therapeutic for me to put some of my thoughts and feelings into something concrete, and see what feedback I receive from all the other mothers out there.

Although a portion of my childhood memories are of good times, feeling loved, mostly, and going through what I would now consider to be the normal stuff of childhood, there were certain instances that in retrospect were the most poignant and prophetic moments. One of those moments being when I was in my mid-teens. I can't remember the exact circumstances, I just remember my mother saying to me "You must do something for yourself with your life. Being a mother will not fulfill you as a person. It's heartbreaking, hard and unsatisfying work. Only a career will fulfill you."

Now, putting aside what that made me feel at the time in terms of my relationship with her (I mean, what parent tells their child that their investment in them has been completely worthless?), I felt even more determined later in my life to prove her wrong. I knew in my heart that there was no way that could be true. A great author once said: "Say what you mean and act how you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." Aahh, the insights of the awesome Dr. Seuss! So here I am, more than 15 years after those words spoken by my own mother burned in my ears, contemplating motherhood as a profession!

As I sit here, listening to my little boy giggle while playing with the dog, I wonder if I'm doing all that I can to create for him a memory and a relationship that will bring him joy and stability later in his life. Most of the time I feel like I don't say the right things at the right times, I don't always recognize those perfect "teaching moments" that I always hear other mothers speak about. In fact, I usually feel so mentally drained and emotionally wiped out, that I just have to hope that I'm not doing or saying anything that will be to my child's detriment. But the fact that I love my kids so much gives me the motivation to keep going day to day, being as strong as I possibly can be, doing the best that I can, giving all that I can give, and praying that it will be enough, without actually being too much!

I know one thing for certain, though, and that is that my mother was wrong, at least for me. I can only speak for myself in saying that being a mother to four of the most beautiful and precious children is fulfilling, satisfying work. It may be thankless, unending, draining, and just plain hard, but that to me is what makes it so satisfying. In the end, if I can see my kids through to their adulthood, and see that they feel loved by me and their father more than they can fathom, then I've succeeded. I may not do anything else right by them, but they will hopefully at least know that!

I know of so many other women, mothers, that show me everyday with their example that they are striving for the same thing. I'm curious, though, to know how others of you gauge your success in this arena. Sometimes the hardest moments for me are when my kids are fighting with each other, or they say or do something that I can't even believe. Did I teach them this or that? Where did I go wrong? There are times that I have said to my husband that I feel like I'm failing as a parent, if for example, I'm having one of those days (or weeks) when it seems like all the kids can do is misbehave, fight, argue, mope, whine, etc. He always says the same thing when I feel like that - "You're here with them, everyday. You take care of their every need. You're being a good mom. Don't expect perfection." Lucky for me I have such a great and supportive husband.

I just want to tell all you other moms whose blogs I read and enjoy, thanks for posting about your families, be it what you perceive as successes or not. I am so inspired and touched when I read about how righteous your desires are, and how you survive those tougher times. It's always nice to know that I'm not alone.

5 comments:

Julie Barb said...

I LOVED LOVED LOVED reading your post! I had a teaching career for four years before we had kids and I felt so unfulfilled because my greatest desire was to be a mom. I feel so fulfilled now and echo everything you said. I personally think our greatest fulfillment comes from our families and children. I don't have a desire to seek other places to get my worth from. I am surprised your mom would say that to you, although I have heard many other women say the same thing (mostly outside the church). Our divine roll is to raise and nurture children and that is where I derive so much joy. I don't think it will change even as mine get older. Anyways...thanks for sharing your thoughts:)

The Bowler Five said...

You are not alone. I often have these days! I think we all do. I think that is why we are only striving for perfection. It sure is a day by day thing in our house! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings if we are true to ourselves as mothers...we all feel these at different times and with different experiences that we have.

Student Entrepreneur said...

You are doing a great job! I am so glad that I know you!!

Priscilla said...

Thanks, Julie and Ang! (You are two of the few other moms I was specifically thinking of as I wrote this - really, such great examples to me!)

Brandon and Katee said...

I totally agree with you on this!! Being a mommy is the greatest joy in this world and what we were destined to do (my lesson in YW was about that yesterday). I too wonder at the end of the day if I did everything I could to better my children's life and if I am doing all I can for them. You are a wonderful mommy and it shows in the sweet spirits you have in your home. Love you!!