Thursday, November 6, 2008

Tonight, on the menu: BBQ Beef-burger Pizza.

Although I didn't intend for this blog to be all about my favorite recipes, somehow that's what it's been so far. I guess that goes to show what most of my time revolves around: making meals. Anyway, this is a pizza I came up with tonight when I found we didn't have any pepperoni on hand. I use my bread maker to make the dough for the crust, and it's because of my family's love of this crust that I make homemade pizza quite often. (If you don't have a bread maker with a dough cycle, you can use the same ingredients and do it by hand.)

Pizza Dough:
1-1/2 cups warm water
1-1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
3-3/4 cups flour
1-1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1-1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. active dry yeast, or rapid rise yeast for bread makers
Spray baking pans with non-stick cooking spray. (I use one 16" pizza pan and one 12" pizza pan for this amount of dough.) Remove dough from bread maker and split it up between your pans, then form into pizza crust. Let sit for at least 30 min to rise, or heat your oven to 225, then turn it off, place the crusts in the oven and let rise for about 10-15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Meat topping:

Brown 1 pound lean ground beef in skillet. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning, to taste. Add about 1/3 cup BBQ sauce to meat and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Sauce:

3/4 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, or oregano
Mix together ingredients and set aside.

Divide sauce between pizza crusts and spread with a spoon. Spread meat mixture evenly over pizzas. cover with shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 - 20 minutes, checking on them periodically.
Other suggested toppings:
Thinly sliced red onions, black olives, mushrooms

No comments: